Why we do it
- Every 20 seconds a child dies as a result of poor sanitation.
- Unclean water is the worlds SECOND LARGEST KILLER of children.
- 1.5 Million deaths each year, most being the deaths of children and are caused by the ingestion of pathogens in unsafe drinking water. These deadly pathogens include; Diarrhea, Cholera, Typhoid, and Dysentery.
- 860,000 children under five years of age die each year due to unsafe water.
- It has been calculated that 443 million school days are lost each year to water related illness.
- Only 61 per cent of people in Sub-saharan Africa have access to improved water supply sources, compared with 90 per cent in other continents.
- Sub-Saharan Africa has the largest number of water stressed countries of any region. 115 people die every hour from diseases linked to contaminated water. Four out ten people in Sub-saharan Africa remain without access to an improved drinking source of drinking water and also remain off track to meet the Millennium Development Goal 7.
- THIS CAN BE REDUCED BY 90 PER CENT BY THE PROVISION OF IMPROVED DRINKING PROJECTS!